1199 doesnt start, need help!!

Dec 2012
Chicago
So I seem to have an issue with my panigale. Long story short - I took to bike out to the store for a few mins and right after I got back - the bike wouldn't crank. It just made a clicking sound but no cranking of the motor. At first I thought it might be the battery (had to get it towed home not fun). After I got home I charging the battery but had the same issue. I just have a clicking sound.

Can someone help me troubleshoot it? The bike has no errors.

I'm thinking it's the relay or something electrical. I have no idea where to start though. Any pointers?

Oct 2014
Australia
Try the ground. Loose ground and the bike wont start. Follow the negative from the battery and see where its connected and ensure it is tight.
Otherwise fuses. I haven't had a problem on my Pani like this but did have a Yamaha that had a loose ground and it just "clicked" when trying to start.

Reactions: 1 person
Apr 2013
Los Angeles
Regulator rectifier bad?

That was a known issue on my last bike 2010 Daytona 675. Left me on the side of the fwy at night almost a mile away from a fwy exit. Not fun walkin the bike that distance. Also ruined my lithium battery so I had to buy another one.

Sep 2013
Orlando
Check battery cable tightness first. if you can move the cables on the terminals with your hands then they are too loose. Tighten them then use a volt meter to measure the battery voltage when you push the start button. (Measure directly on the batter terminals) How low does the voltage drop? the battery could have a weak cell that would make the battery show good OCV but crap out when a load is applied. Start there first. A battery should drop in voltage due to load from the starter but should stay ~above 10.0 volts.
If the battery voltage does not drop at all (from ~12.6) then I would suspect something in the starter circuit. Possible a bad relay not making contact to give voltage to the starter or a Bad ground.

Last edited:
Dec 2012
Chicago
How do you check the starter ?

Battery, fuse, ground is okay. The voltage was 12.6 and goes down to about 12.2 when trying to start. All i hear is the clicking sound.

Mar 2014
Mid Ohio
Check voltage at the starter, then check for 12v at the starter relay S terminal, if it has one.

Dec 2012
Chicago
Okay I found the starter motor and verified that there was 12V going to it. Is there a way to check the starter motor before I replace it ?

Jul 2012
So-Cal
For get dead or dying starter to spin up on a car, i would use a hammer and tap the starter motor to loosen up the clutch. Not saying you should do it on the motorcycle.