For the experts in here

If you are not racing, no problem with the 1100 cc engine

what would be the better bike?

A 2020 V4S

Or a

2019 V4 R

They are 7,500 dlls difference

Talking about better performance, suspension, power on track, trackday use
I have a V4R for racing but if I was using it on the road only I would definitely go the v4s in my opinion the V4R is overpriced for what you get, the ohlins rear shock is a low spec and the forks pretty much the same. If the v4s was 1000cc I would have purchased for racing.

Aug 2018
Texas
I have a V4R for racing but if I was using it on the road only I would definitely go the v4s in my opinion the V4R is overpriced for what you get, the ohlins rear shock is a low spec and the forks pretty much the same. If the v4s was 1000cc I would have purchased for racing.
Thanks for the input man, that is just what I think

Do you think, a 2020 BASE V4, will be a better choice? And if you what upgrade to top of the line Öhlins forks and shock, and maybe some light weight wheels?

Reactions: jmhamilton68
Sep 2019
Brentwood, CA
This is what I did. Got a base and upgraded how I want. I don’t care for the electronic Öhlins and the stock wheels aren’t much heavier than the ones on the S

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
Nov 2019
Western Australia
Thanks for the input man, that is just what I think

Do you think, a 2020 BASE V4, will be a better choice? And if you what upgrade to top of the line Öhlins forks and shock, and maybe some light weight wheels?
If you don't want the electronic suspension then it could be worth looking at, I bought a set of marchesini magnesium wheels same as superlegarra but in gloss Black, they were $3,600 USD. You can get a set of fgrt forks for around $2500. Rear shock around $1800 I will upload some pictures soon of our race bike has a lot of stuff on it.

Reactions: DucatiKev

Fry

Jun 2018
San Diego, CA
I'm no expert, but I bought a 2019 V4 based model for track use only (not racing), and made the mods I wanted. And I could not be happier with the bike.
From what's been shared in the preliminary reviews, the 2020s are "better/smoother/faster" but personally I like the violent aggressive power delivery of the 2018/2019s... and the torque of the 1,103cc engine.
That said, modifications add up. Here's the running list of mine, showing total costs (tax included). The mods rated by importance on the track, I would say: 1) radiator guard!, 2) stompgrip, 3) race seat, 4) shock, 5) forks, 6) tall windscreen, and 7) forged wheels.
I think you cannot go wrong with any of these V4s, but this was my solution.

mods.jpg

Apr 2018
NY
dry clutch on the v4r. so add $3kish to your S if you want that. S will probably be a better fit for most people, easier suspension adjustments, more low end grunt etc.

Myself, I would have a hard time deciding between the 2, but would probably go S for the simple fact it probably wont cost as much to fix bits and bobs when they break or grow old.

Nov 2018
NZ
There is always a better bike than yours, get the base and an S is "better", get the S and the R is "better" get the R and well the new SL is definitely "better" according to the journo's and owners who have or will be splashing out. All of them are "better" than my 1299! Point is that even a base model will be a fantastic bike, Frys bike sounds great and you can chip away at upgrades as it suits your budget plus you get to appreciate the changes, but I will just get a common 2020 S because i wont appreciate the differences between high end upgrades and the stock gear. In another thread a similar discussion came up about the SL and what it boils down to is get what you like, if you dont know what you like then it doesnt matter what you get!

I am not speaking from experience as Ive only ridden an S a few times, but I cant see you going wrong with either bike.

Mar 2016
Roseville
I haven’t ridden the v4, just my 1299s. The way I look at it is it is better to have a bit more displacement to produce more torque and consequently more HP at lower RPM. This stresses the engine less and should make the engine last longer with less maintenance. If you aren’t racing, capacity limits don’t matter. Save the money and go with an S or a base as others have said.