Coolant replacement

Mar 2018
North Carolina
All of the trackday organizations I ride with Cornerspeed, PRE, Roger Lyle, STT require anti-freeze to be replaced with water or equivalent in the intermediate and advanced classes.

Reactions: 2 people
Mar 2018
North Carolina
I can't believe there isn't also a drain somewhere on the motor....
Agreed, my old bike had a drain bolt at the water pump. The position this drain is in doesn't get all the anti-freeze out. You need to flush the system a few times at first.

Dec 2012
Toronto
Did it make a noticeable difference in radiating heat while riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is no noticeable improvement, I didn’t measure with a thermometer. With my last bike (2007 R6) the dash board had an actual read-out for temp and with water + water wetter the temps were approx 10-15 deg Celsius lower

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Mar 2018
Wake Forest, NC
How many gallons/liters of coolant (be it water wetter solution or regular glycol stuff) does it take to completely flush V4 system?

Thanks.

Dec 2019
Texas
Sweet, perfect. I figured that was it, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Could you post a picture of the drain bolt? I have my fairing out to install GB racing case covers and figured I might as well do the coolant change now. I've attached a picture...maybe you can circle the bolt?

Attachments

Dec 2019
Texas
How many gallons/liters of coolant (be it water wetter solution or regular glycol stuff) does it take to completely flush V4 system?

Thanks.
You should wash it out with about two gallons of distilled water you can buy from any pharmacy. You will see the outgoing liquid slowly turn from pink to clear. Once it turns clear, you know you've flushed all the coolant out. Then empty out the reservoir. Now she's ready for a mixture of a splash of water wetter and a gallon of distilled water solution.

Dec 2012
Toronto
Could you post a picture of the drain bolt? I have my fairing out to install GB racing case covers and figured I might as well do the coolant change now. I've attached a picture...maybe you can circle the bolt?
It’s on the other side of the bike. It’s the copper/bronze bolt in the left side of the radiator. You can’t miss it.