Road Tires?

Aug 2019
Oklahoma
Just wanted to know what you guys ran on 1299 for road tires. My bike still has the original tires on it with a 2014 DOT Code and are getting close to the wear bars.

That being said I don't need a full track day tire on my bike. I may do a track day someday on my 1299S but would rather have a more street oriented tire. I also live where it rains quite a bit and have been caught out a few times on long rides. The OE SC Tire doesn't seem like something I would wanna get caught in rain on... I also am not convinced at cooler Fall and Winter Temps, I live in the south so we get 50-65F Winter Days the SC tire will ever come up to temp. I road bike few days ago at it was about 60F out and tire never got tacky was still wanting to spin up even in straight line.

I have read good things about the Rosso Corsa II, S22 Conti Sport Attack 4 and Metzeler M7RR? Seems the RCII doesn't come in the stock rear size? I don't think I want to go to a full sport touring type tire just due to the 1299S power delivery feel like it would tear a tire like that up in short order?

I read couple older threads but know new tires come out all the time so would like some current info.

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Ontario, CANADA
Riding in Canada from April to December I can confirm that the SC don't warm-up in the fall months. They're not that great in the rain either.
I would not choose a Sport Touring tires for your Pani either because of their flatter profile. Rosso Corsa II are a 50/50 R/T tires very similar to SC albeit not as sticky but with more durability.
If you don't or seldom go to the track, you would be best served with a road focused Sport Tire like the Rosso III. I've replace the OEM 200/55 SC's on my Monster 1200R with them. Big improvement in durability and fast warm-up with a lean angle similar to RC and SC's. BTW, I've had all of the above: 3 pairs of SC, two pairs of Rosso III, one pair of RC, and one pair of Angel GT's.

Last edited:
Reactions: DucatiKev and Hawk
May 2018
Montreal, QC Canada
Another Canadian here - I switched from OEM to Hypersport S22's last summer. Although the S22's rode a slightly harder but they were over-inflated so I reduced the PSI and they are fine now. Definitely rides better on the S22's and felt more confidence on Montreal pavement temps all the way through fall. On-ramps are much better. Wet is noticeably better. I don't see myself ever going back to SC's for daily riding.

Funny thing is when the dealer offered OEM's as a replacement and I opted for the S22's instead, they were quick to say "Ah good choice, you've done your research!" lol

Reactions: Hawk and DucatiKev
Aug 2019
Oklahoma
Seems there are alot of good choices I am not sure how to pick between them all. Need to do some more reading.

Dec 2019
USA: Philly Pa & Venice FL
Metzler Racetech K3 will be the next set I get. Forum user “cycler” offered me a great deal on a set.
Seems like I get around 2,000 miles on stock pirellis, hope the medium compound Metzler offers extended range

Aug 2019
Oklahoma
Michelin Sport Rs

How are the RS in rain if I get caught out? Seems some others like S22 have a bit more aggressive rain grooves than these?

I have read the RC2s turn in easier then most of the other tires out there?

Found this epic tire test.
Test

Last edited:
May 2019
USA
I suggest the Pirelli Rosso Corsa II. Handling will stay basically the same is the OEM tires but give you better longevity and grip in colder weather. I tried the Michelin Power RS but I think it got hotter than the rubber is rated for during weekend riding. By the way I think the age of your current tires is likely causing traction issues as well. Accelerating in a straight line after warm up should not result in slipping with OEM tires in even cold weather/freezing temps.

Reactions: DucatiKev
Aug 2019
Oklahoma
I suggest the Pirelli Rosso Corsa II. Handling will stay basically the same is the OEM tires but give you better longevity and grip in colder weather. I tried the Michelin Power RS but I think it got hotter than the rubber is rated for during weekend riding. By the way I think the age of your current tires is likely causing traction issues as well. Accelerating in a straight line after warm up should not result in slipping with OEM tires in even cold weather/freezing temps.
It was even in "Wet" mode. :p

Ya think I am in between S22 and RCII. I loved the S21s on my S1000RR.