Shock length adjustment

Aug 2012
georgia
Dropped the front 5mm (total of 9mm now exposed above the triple clamp), and have left the rear as is which was previously set at 10mm higher than stock. Will give it a run tomorrow to see how it feels. What amount of drop in the front have you (with Ohlins equipped Panigales) tried and what were your results (jarelj, SteveB, veck, outhouse, et al)? Did you do anything with the rear ride height? Thanks to all for your participation in this thread, and for all your assistance.
I set front ride height to 196mm from the bottom of the triple clamp to the lower edge of the outer fork tube, does not include the seal, just the tube.

I have the rear shock length set to 306mm eye to eye. Link is set to flat.

Last edited:

jarelj

Site Sponsor
Jul 2012
Omaha, NE USA
I have the rear shock length set to 218mm eye to eye. Link is set to flat.
218mm is impossible, that's less then the length of the shock body itself, I'd measure it again.

Aug 2012
georgia
218mm is impossible, that's less then the length of the shock body itself, I'd measure it again.
Doh! you are correct. I pulled the wrong number from my sheet.

The correct measurement is 306mm eye to eye. Updating my other post.

jarelj

Site Sponsor
Jul 2012
Omaha, NE USA
Doh! you are correct. I pulled the wrong number from my sheet.

The correct measurement is 306mm eye to eye. Updating my other post.
306mm is good, that's the baseline that we use when setting them up for the track.

Feb 2013
Tampa, FL
306mm is good, that's the baseline that we use when setting them up for the track.
With what sized tires? Im running the 200/60 Pirellis and am hoping to get a geometry baseline. Also, how do you measure eye to eye?

Thanks

Aug 2012
georgia
With what sized tires? Im running the 200/60 Pirellis and am hoping to get a geometry baseline. Also, how do you measure eye to eye?

Thanks
I've used that length with the both the DOT and Pirelli slicks. With the slightly larger 200/60 it worked just fine.

You measure the shock from the center of the eye bolt at each end.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2013
Tampa, FL
I've used that length with the both the DOT and Pirelli slicks. With the slightly larger 200/60 it worked just fine.

You measure the shock from the center of the eye bolt at each end.
I mean do you just use a measuring tape? How do you get such precision.

jarelj

Site Sponsor
Jul 2012
Omaha, NE USA
I mean do you just use a measuring tape? How do you get such precision.
It's easiest with the shock removed from the bike, but can be done on the bike as well. Make a mark at the top center of each eye and then measure mark-to-mark with a MM measuring tape.

Reactions: 1 person