Shock length adjustment

Aug 2012
georgia
I mean do you just use a measuring tape? How do you get such precision.
I use a small magnets that I picked up at sears. The little rod with a magnet on the end you use to fish out small parts. I just stick them on the shock at each end and use a tape measure.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2013
Tampa, FL
Thanks guys, final question. Is this number with the rear shock unloaded? Or is it with the bike on the ground?

jarelj

Site Sponsor
Jul 2012
Omaha, NE USA
Thanks guys, final question. Is this number with the rear shock unloaded? Or is it with the bike on the ground?
Unloaded, so you either need to have the shock removed or have the bike supported under the engine to have the rear tire off the ground. Ride height is always measured unloaded, both front and rear, that's the only way to get the springs out of the equation.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2013
Tampa, FL
So I finally had a chance to run the Pirelli Superbike slicks.

I am having pretty big headshake issues. I believe it to be a geometry issue because of the larger rear tire.

If I set the rear shock to 306mm will that cure it help it? I already raised the front end 3mm and it helped slightly.

Feb 2013
Tampa, FL
bump...

Whats the stock shock length? I can't find my jack stands to support the bike while I adjust so I am hoping I can just remove a few mm's out while its on the ground.

Feb 2017
USA
Anyone know how many mm of adjustment one full turn of the shock length nut will produce? Not trying to remove the shock just for the adjustment and hoping to have a rough baseline to work with since we know what the stock length is. Thanks!