Took delivery of 1299 Superlegerra! Finally!

Status
Thread Closed
Sep 2013
Vancouver, BC
I'm trying to understand it myself, but yes, I can buy and register it.
Wow... That means that the "limited to 500" is a hoax and isn't true at all. Then they can make every bike limited and once they go past the limit, just go xxx or xxxx... I wonder how that works.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Apr 2014
Toronto, Canada
On a side note, does anyone know what the deal is with the XXX/500 Superleggeras?
A few weeks ago an unexpected package arrived at my door. Just about a year after I intially ordered my bike, Ducati sent me a limited Superleggera edition hard cover book. The book covers every major bike Ducati has built ending with the Superleggera. But get this....they printed each book to match the customer’s bike number. In my case the photo of the triples shows 304/500. I highly doubt there any XXX books...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Jan 2018
Southern California
Wow... That means that the "limited to 500" is a hoax and isn't true at all. Then they can make every bike limited and once they go past the limit, just go xxx or xxxx... I wonder how that works.

I wouldn't look at it that way. I don't think it would be feasible to take a few of the serialized bikes for display/press purposes then sell them as new to any of the 500 customers who ordered them. The XXX bikes would accomplish this. I don't mind a display bike, but I don't want a press bike. I actually have an ex-press bike that I bought with 40 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I did buy it at a substantial discount. If the SL is an ex-press bike, that might change things for me. Suter 500 GP anyone? ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2018
Southern California
A few weeks ago an unexpected package arrived at my door. Just about a year after I intially ordered my bike, Ducati sent me a limited Superleggera edition hard cover book. The book covers every major bike Ducati has built ending with the Superleggera. But get this....they printed each book to match the customer's bike number. In my case the photo of the triples shows 304/500. I highly doubt there any XXX books...

Badass for sure, but at this point, beggars can't be choosers unfortunately. :( Hope I'm luckier next time

Sep 2013
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't look at it that way. I don't think it would be feasible to take a few of the serialized bikes for display/press purposes then sell them as new to any of the 500 customers who ordered them. The XXX bikes would accomplish this. I don't mind a display bike, but I don't want a press bike. I actually have an ex-press bike that I bought with 40 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I did buy it at a substantial discount. If the SL is an ex-press bike, that might change things for me. Suter 500 GP anyone? ;)
That's very true. I didn't mean it in a bad way but I can see how I worded it quite negatively. I apologize. I was just thinking more of in the position of owning one of the numbered bikes, knowing that there are more running around may be slightly disappointing to those that cherish how "limited" they're supposed to be. Again, not taking anything away from the bike at all. It's a very special piece of machinery.

Jan 2018
Southern California
That's very true. I didn't mean it in a bad way but I can see how I worded it quite negatively. I apologize. I was just thinking more of in the position of owning one of the numbered bikes, knowing that there are more running around may be slightly disappointing to those that cherish how "limited" they're supposed to be. Again, not taking anything away from the bike at all. It's a very special piece of machinery.

No need to apologize at all, I didn't take it that way. I see where you're coming from, but I'm not a collector. Numbered bikes are cool, and I respect those who like that exclusivity, however, I've never felt that way with my numbered bikes. If this bike pans out the way I'm hoping, I'll feel very fortunate and privileged to be able to ride one

Oct 2016
Australia
Back to thread jacking.

I almost passed on going to Mugello and I'm so thankful I didn't. A year prior I crashed at the track and suffered a traumatic brain injury. Mugello was going be my first time back on the track. Riding a WSBK bike on an unknown track, what could go wrong riiight?

The trip turned out to be a once in a lifetime experience and not because of the track day. My buddy and I flew to Milan almost two weeks prior and rented two Multisradas. The plan was ride the Italian and Swiss Alps and work our way to Mugello. We rode all day everyday and stayed at new hotel every night.

Describing the journey as epic wouldn't do it justice, but my limited vocabulary has no other words to describe it. The roads, food, the people and their culture were amazing. And the Multistradas were the perfect bike for the adventure. Not once did I wish I was on any other bike.

The first leg of our journey went from Milan to Switzerland where we were going attempt to ride the Stelvio Pass. When Top Gear proclaimed it to be the best driving road in the world
they weren't kidding.

Much more interesting , the wealth of experiences as aposed to the wealth of "what I own".
I can really appreciate that Michelin Star meal matched to wine,(I grown wine to match food), but one of my most memorable meals was riding my MTS on my own ,(having a 3 week head clear), through the Apinnines back to where I lived in the '80's, and stopping where the road workers eat to devour half a litre of Sango with chicken arrosto , potato, tomato and garlic, 11 euro, memorable !

Jun 2017
Denver, Colorado
This thread is getting good.

One of the highlights was having the chance to eat lunch at Osteria Francescana https://www.osteriafrancescana.it. This place was ranked the #2 restaurant in the world and has three Michelin stars. If you watched Ducati’s 2018 EICMA presentation then you’ll have seen the chef Massimo Bottura, he owns the restaurant and is also a Ducatista. There was a one year waiting list to get in. Part way through our trip we managed to get a reservation. Someone had cancelled. We called an audible and raced to Modena.

The restaurant is also featured on Netflix’s
Chef’s Table show. The 16 course meal and paired wines was next level amazing. Also amazing was the 700€ price!!
About a year ago I was in Maranello Italy for work with a company we do specliazed work for and one of the executives there took me for dinner at Osteria Francescana. Truly and incredible meal. I think we had seven courses and it was really special. I also had dinner at its sister restaurant in the old city of Modena and that was also incredible.

The xxx bikes you have is one that's able to be sold. It's entirely possible that after its use on the show circuit or however it was used, it received a new carbon frame with a legit VIN and it was probably set to US spec. I do work for several of the world's best car manufacturers and I've had use of several prototypes and with those, they always get crushed (I had the prototype Rolls Royce Wraith for a week before it got crushed). However, there are pre production cars and bikes that eventually are sold. I'm sure that this is one of those. Depending on where in pre-production the bike was built, it doesn't even need a new frame or VIN.

As far as the number goes, it makes no difference. I am trying to find a 996R or 998R for my little collection. Very few of the 996Rs that came to the US actually had a number plaque. It doesn't make them any better or worse. If you like it and have the cash, then buy it.

EDIT: I just read this post and found it necessary to clarify something:

Something important to add here is that the bike is question is an R/FE. R/FE's were never xxx/500. They are all numbered but unlimited in production. Ducati can make as many as they want and that has never been a secret. For what it's worth, on the 998R there two "000" bikes that are pre production and in existence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Status
Thread Closed