Took delivery of 1299 Superlegerra! Finally!

Status
Thread Closed
Jan 2016
Cape town
O dear... that Aston, what happened
I have one similar to that and if that was mine I would be in tears, it would be in a box on its way to Gaydon UK where the elves that build them could repair it.

Not nice to see ( like you guys are Ducati purists I'm an Aston man) even my under ware is branded Aston Martin or 007

Jun 2017
Denver, Colorado
O dear... that Aston, what happened
I have one similar to that and if that was mine I would be in tears, it would be in a box on its way to Gaydon UK where the elves that build them could repair it.

Not nice to see ( like you guys are Ducati purists I'm an Aston man) even my under ware is branded Aston Martin or 007
��
Captain, I know a lot of Aston owners but I've never met anyone I would consider a real Aston guy. Can you share a little about what makes them special to you, especially when compared to other sports cars?

Jan 2018
Southern California
The xxx bikes you have is one that's able to be sold. It's entirely possible that after its use on the show circuit or however it was used, it received a new carbon frame with a legit VIN and it was probably set to US spec. I do work for several of the world's best car manufacturers and I've had use of several prototypes and with those, they always get crushed (I had the prototype Rolls Royce Wraith for a week before it got crushed). However, there are pre production cars and bikes that eventually are sold. I'm sure that this is one of those. Depending on where in pre-production the bike was built, it doesn't even need a new frame or VIN.

As far as the number goes, it makes no difference. I am trying to find a 996R or 998R for my little collection. Very few of the 996Rs that came to the US actually had a number plaque. It doesn't make them any better or worse. If you like it and have the cash, then buy it.

EDIT: I just read this post and found it necessary to clarify something:

Something important to add here is that the bike is question is an R/FE. R/FE's were never xxx/500. They are all numbered but unlimited in production. Ducati can make as many as they want and that has never been a secret. For what it's worth, on the 998R there two "000" bikes that are pre production and in existence.
Thank you for the info and clarification. Long story short, I was at the press conference for the SL unveiling in Milan and was told it was pretty much sold out, but that I should be able to get one. One of my big motivations was the Mugello experience that was intimated to me. Nevertheless, I had to postpone my decision due to a controversial financial obligation and missed my window. Fast forward a year later and I started looking for one again after EICMA, and they are almost non-existent. Unexpected great news that my local dealer got two of them this week, but they are XXX bikes. Hence my inquiry

Our tastes run similar indeed. 17 years ago, i tried to get on the list for a 996R, but they were as rare as the SL and fewer were brought to the North America. I failed. Fortunately, 2002 brought me better luck. BTW, I'm looking into finding out who owns the other 998R in the area and if he/she wants to sell it.

I do think the numbers are cool on the one hand, on the other, it isn't important to me because I don't look at exclusivity or collector value. I would just prefer that if I have to pay regular price for a new SL that it isn't a pre-ridden press bike. If that's the case, I'd rather wait and save money picking up a gently used garage queen a year or two from now.

Interesting factoid on the 998R prototypes. I guess that means 702 total ;) But then again, I'd rather have the RS you formerly had :D

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2017
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for the info and clarification. Long story short, I was at the press conference for the SL unveiling in Milan and was told it was pretty much sold out, but that I should be able to get one. One of my big motivations was the Mugello experience that was intimated to me. Nevertheless, I had to postpone my decision due to a controversial financial obligation and missed my window. Fast forward a year later and I started looking for one again after EICMA, and they are almost non-existent. Unexpected great news that my local dealer got two of them this week, but they are XXX bikes. Hence my inquiry

Our tastes run similar indeed. 17 years ago, i tried to get on the list for a 996R, but they were as rare as the SL and fewer were brought to the North America. I failed. Fortunately, 2002 brought me better luck. BTW, I'm looking into finding out who owns the other 998R in the area and if he/she wants to sell it.

I do think the numbers are cool on the one hand, on the other, it isn't important to me because I don't look at exclusivity or collector value. I would just prefer that if I have to pay regular price for a new SL that it isn't a pre-ridden press bike. If that's the case, I'd rather wait and save money picking up a gently used garage queen a year or two from now.

Interesting factoid on the 998R prototypes. I guess that means 702 total ;) But then again, I'd rather have the RS you formerly had :D
That RS was very fun to ride. At the time, it was a very mind blowing experience. I bought it right off the race season and it was really special to use in "as-raced" trim and I loved every moment of it. Of course, as a high strung track only machine that had a lot of more-or-less one-off parts from Ducati Corse and was meant to be disassembled and rebuilt very frequently, it had limited use and I decided to move on. That bike is with a friend now and is in great hands.

Going back to the xxx bike you're looking at, just to avoid confusion, I did read that right and it's an R/FE and not an SL right? Because in the last post you mention an SL and I just want to make sure that I didn't read that wrong or mix things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2018
Southern California
That RS was very fun to ride. At the time, it was a very mind blowing experience. I bought it right off the race season and it was really special to use in "as-raced" trim and I loved every moment of it. Of course, as a track only machine, it had limited use and I decided to move on. That bike is with a friend now and is in great hands.

Going back to the xxx bike you're looking at, just to avoid confusion, I did read that right and it's an R/FE and not an SL right? Because in the last post you mention an SL and I just want to make sure that I didn't read that wrong or mix things up.
I had a chance to buy an ex-Hodgson BSB RS, but simply couldn't afford it. Hopefully one day I'lll get some seat time on a RS, or better still, own one.

Sorry for the confusion. I went to the dealer to see the FE as they don't stay in showrooms very long (someone had backed out of it and it became available for sale). I saw it at Laguna Seca, but it was roped off and at EICMA on press day but too many people around it so it was the first time I could be intimate with the bike, lol. During my visit, I found out they were getting two 1299SL's, which I later found out were XXX bikes. They arrived yesterday.

Jun 2017
Denver, Colorado
I had a chance to buy an ex-Hodgson BSB RS, but simply couldn't afford it. Hopefully one day I'lll get some seat time on a RS, or better still, own one.

Sorry for the confusion. I went to the dealer to see the FE as they don't stay in showrooms very long (someone had backed out of it and it became available for sale). I saw it at Laguna Seca, but it was roped off and at EICMA on press day but too many people around it so it was the first time I could be intimate with the bike, lol. During my visit, I found out they were getting two 1299SL's, which I later found out were XXX bikes. They arrived yesterday.
Whoa. Awesome. So they're in fact pre-production 1299SL's. Very interesting indeed.

Jan 2018
Southern California
Whoa. Awesome. So they're in fact pre-production 1299SL's. Very interesting indeed.
I believe there are only two pre-production/prototype 1299SL's (also XXX from what I understand) and being sold at a higher price with some other "collector" goodies.

Status
Thread Closed