VAG in crisis due to its diesel scam

Mar 2015
Indiana
IMO the emissions thing is all a ponzi scheme anyway .
no one wants to count the millions of tons of fossil fuels used to mine palladium or platinum for cc . or the loss of fuel mileage from some clean burn technology .
planting trees to offset the CO (which would naturally become CO2 in a very short time without a cat) would be more efficient IMO

Jun 2015
Nashville TN
And if one wants to get really nitpicky, Ducati is wholly owned by Lamborghini, which is wholly owned by Audi, which is part of VAG. But make no mistake, buying Ducati was a personal desire and decision by Ferdinand Piech.

Phl

Forum Staff
Feb 2012
here
also, whatever happens, the german government will do anything to keep VW going.

Oct 2013
SF
lol you said VAG..

Well "IF" what they say is true VW should get off pretty easy as GM killed people and just got a fine that US Taxpayers paid for.. Besides I find it hard to believe VW did this.. Most likely just someone in the US Government has a hard on for them and is being a tool...

I dont think it will affect Ducati either.. At least not on the 1199/899/1299's as VW had nothing to do with the bikes..
If? The CEO stepped down and they have already admitted to doing it on at least 11 million vehicles.

The question isn't if, it is how many cars are affected.

Mar 2013
Texas
More heads on the chopping block including big wigs at AUDI & Porsche.

Germany’s well-sourced Bild newspaper reports that Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn’s resignation is just the start. They say that at the company’s board meeting on Friday, Audi’s R&D chief Ulrich Hackenberg, Porsche’s head of engines Wolfgang Hatz, VW Chief Development Officer Heinz-Jakob Neusser and U.S. CEO Michael Horn will all be forced to resign. Holy shit.

These are some major names in the world of cars, and some of the most important figures behind the VW Group’s engineering. This report is unconfirmed for now, but if it ends up being true it appears the board is cleaning house of anyone who might have known about the emissions cheating — or could be subpoena’d over it.

Mar 2015
Planet Earth
Pretty ironic the biggest gas gusselin country in the world is going to hand out huge fines for another country.... :D

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2014
Ligonier, IN
As previously mentioned, I find it hard to believe that the EPA can hand out a speculative $7Billion+ fine for something that is so minuscule vs. the FCA $105Million and GM $900Million fines each of which caused fatal accidents.. I am not saying that FCA and GM should pay more or less but the EPA is completely blowing this out of proportion..

Mar 2013
Texas
As previously mentioned, I find it hard to believe that the EPA can hand out a speculative $7Billion+ fine for something that is so minuscule vs. the FCA $105Million and GM $900Million fines each of which caused fatal accidents.. I am not saying that FCA and GM should pay more or less but the EPA is completely blowing this out of proportion..
What I find it hard to believe that VW could be stupid enough to install cheat software in their vehicles and think that it would never be discovered. They knew they'd face large fines if caught and they did it anyway. GM didn't intentionally install faulty ignition switches in their vehicles. VW's actions were deliberate.

$7 billion is the amount VW set aside to help deal with scandal. They could end up paying much more than that.

Volkswagen can face civil penalties of $37,500 for each vehicle not in compliance with federal clean air rules. There are 482,000 four-cylinder VW and Audi diesel cars sold since 2008 involved in the allegations. If each car involved is found to be in noncompliance, the penalty could be $18 billion, an EPA official confirmed on the teleconference.
Even ignoring the fines and lawsuits, they'll need to install a fix on ~11 million cars worldwide.

Last edited: