When to change fork fluid?

Apr 2012
Earth
Looks like the maintenance schedule calls for changing fork fluid at 36months. When are you guys changing yours? I've heard the school of though that you dont open them up until they starts leaking. If it matters, I'm specifically interested for the 1299s.

Does your answer change if it's low mileage (<5k miles) without hard use (street only)?

Dec 2018
LA,CA
Looks like the maintenance schedule calls for changing fork fluid at 36months. When are you guys changing yours? I've heard the school of though that you dont open them up until they starts leaking. If it matters, I'm specifically interested for the 1299s.

Does your answer change if it's low mileage (<5k miles) without hard use (street only)?
If its been longer than 36 months that your bike has been built, change the fork and shock fluid. It seems like you don't ride a lot so maybe stick to the time tables vs mileage tables. I wouldn't wait for a problem to occur, you will be better off being proactive than reactive with a motorcycle and a Ducati specifically.

Reactions: jmhamilton68
Nov 2012
Sweden
According to a Ohlins technician i spoked to the most important oil change is the first one.
You should do it right away.

Sep 2012
Wichita Falls, Tx
I'm changing mine right now because of a failed seal. Only 4700 miles and the oil looked good. My owners manual, 2015 base Multistrada, only says every 18,000 miles with no time recommendation. I think something around 5000-7500 would be good depending on how you ride.

Reactions: DucatiKev
Jan 2016
germany
I have opened a duc showa fork with 25k Km recently.
the outer tube was worn.
Fork pieces are expensive.
so, in my opinion: best would be a full service after run in.
important is checking all ptfe faces for included metal chips.

Reactions: RdashP
Apr 2015
Durham, UK.
I did mine after 3 track/race seasons. Would guess around 120 hrs riding max, and the oil was dark grey and thicker compared to new oil.
It took a fair bit of cleaning to remove all of the residues before reassembly too.
I will do mine at least once a season in future.

Aug 2016
Finland
Started to think of changing my fork fluid now as well. 2014 1199S with 12K km. No leaks etc. Is it enough to just change oil or should I replace seals etc. at the same time? Recommendations appreciated.

Nov 2019
Philly
This is a topic that is always up for debate at times. However, here is a generic rule to use.

Street Use:
Commuter/Pleasure -- 18-24 months

Track Use:
beginner/intermediate(slow) -- 12-18 months
intermediate(fast)/advance -- 6-12 months

I change the fluid in my bikes every 2-3 track events but don't use me for example. Im a suspension master technician.

Last edited:
Apr 2018
USA
Started to think of changing my fork fluid now as well. 2014 1199S with 12K km. No leaks etc. Is it enough to just change oil or should I replace seals etc. at the same time? Recommendations appreciated.
If you're in there changing the oil, definitely change the seals as well.

Reactions: 1 person
May 2019
USA
Is there a way to change just the fork oil while still on the bike? Or just remove and drain out from the cap? I have intermittent leaks that seem to be occuring only when the dirt settles to the seal and prevents proper sealing. I do a simple seal sweep with a seal cleaning tool and it resolves it as long as I allow the fork oil to be clear as it is sweeped. It really appears to leak only from internal debris, not from bad seal or damage to the stanchion tube.