When to change fork fluid?

Sep 2012
Wichita Falls, Tx
Is there a way to change just the fork oil while still on the bike? Or just remove and drain out from the cap? I have intermittent leaks that seem to be occuring only when the dirt settles to the seal and prevents proper sealing. I do a simple seal sweep with a seal cleaning tool and it resolves it as long as I allow the fork oil to be clear as it is sweeped. It really appears to leak only from internal debris, not from bad seal or damage to the stanchion tube.
You need to remove them from the bike to properly drain them. It's really not hard, even without some of the special tools.

Mar 2015
ATX
You need to remove them from the bike to properly drain them. It's really not hard, even without some of the special tools.
Yeah U need to remove them from the triple clamps and yes it's not that hard but i found out both of my M12 damping rod nut were inside the cap and there is no way to get M19 open wrench or special socket in there to hold the nut while you try to loose the cap (1299S) even with spring compressed. I had to jam flat screw driver in there and loose the cap. here is what the fluid looks like (street ride 80% of the time with over 15K mi)Fluid.jpgdamping nut.jpg

Mar 2019
Illinois
Yeah U need to remove them from the triple clamps and yes it's not that hard but i found out both of my M12 damping rod nut were inside the cap and there is no way to get M19 open wrench or special socket in there to hold the nut while you try to loose the cap (1299S) even with spring compressed. I had to jam flat screw driver in there and loose the cap. here is what the fluid looks like (street ride 80% of the time with over 15K mi)
You can access the nut by using the preload adjuster to move it down into the window. Then you can use an M19 wrench to hold it instead of a screwdriver.

Mar 2015
ATX
You can access the nut by using the preload adjuster to move it down into the window. Then you can use an M19 wrench to hold it instead of a screwdriver.
As i stated that i have 1299S and i tried to move the preload nut down it just spinning and the jam nut isn’t going down. Unless i am missing something

Sep 2012
Wichita Falls, Tx
I had to pull that white preload tube down to access the fork cap lock nut while my 9 year old slipped the wrench onto the nut! lol

Mar 2015
ATX
My forks are constructed a little differently.
Off of a 2015 base Multistrada:

1299S is little different from standard. The preload and cap is one unit and the cap is longer then your standard. I am pretty handy when it comes to mechanic (Auto/motorcycles) but in this case i couldn’t figure it out so i called my buddy to give me a hand and he was puzzle as i am. As u can see from my picture the jam nut was inside the cap

Reactions: cmh210
Mar 2019
Illinois
As i stated that i have 1299S and i tried to move the preload nut down it just spinning and the jam nut isn’t going down. Unless i am missing something
Odd, I have a V4S and had no trouble with the forks the couple times I've had them apart. I think the forks should be almost identical.

Mar 2015
ATX
Odd, I have a V4S and had no trouble with the forks the couple times I've had them apart. I think the forks should be almost identical.
did you have to put suspension in certain mode (rain, sport, race) before you unplug the cable on top of the fork? i have spring compressor jig from Race tech and even got spring down (bottom it to top of the outer tube and pulled the cap up) and still could not get M19 wrench on it (jam nut) caused it was inside the cap housing. when i tried to spin the preload adjuster, the whole unit (plus jam nut) just spinning with it. the jam nut doesn't come down. i will upload the video (when i have time) so you can see what i mean