When to change fork fluid?

May 2019
USA
Before you take the forks off the bike you need to adjust the preload (this should change the height of the lock nut and make it accessible) and loosen the cap (with the top triple clamps loosened). Also, with the 1199S I put it in rain mode... simpler than going in the menu and dialing it all down. Ideally you could set them to max(or minimum depending on the bike) but I figure rain mode is half way there.

Mar 2015
ATX
Before you take the forks off the bike you need to adjust the preload (this should change the height of the lock nut and make it accessible) and loosen the cap (with the top triple clamps loosened). Also, with the 1199S I put it in rain mode... simpler than going in the menu and dialing it all down. Ideally you could set them to max(or minimum depending on the bike) but I figure rain mode is half way there.
So this may explain why the jam nut was all the way inside the cap since i just unplug my (race mode) without put it to rain mode or take all the preload out, thx

Sep 2012
Wichita Falls, Tx
Let us know how it goes and what tricks you got to work. I'm still in the middle of my fork rebuild. Trying to find the correct size seals without having to buy them from the dealer.

Reactions: DucatiKev
May 2019
USA
The preload nut is a little different from other bikes in that when you look at it from the outside its height appears not to change. But on the other side the height changes. When the whole thing is on the bike the outside housing is held in place and the rotation of the ride height nut on the outside results in the inside moving. If the cap has been opened then you need to hold the outer housing still while rotating the ride height nut.

Hold the silver part while rotating the blue part. This should make lock nut accessible.

Reactions: bigdzx6r
Mar 2015
ATX
The preload nut is a little different from other bikes in that when you look at it from the outside its height appears not to change. But on the other side the height changes. When the whole thing is on the bike the outside housing is held in place and the rotation of the ride height nut on the outside results in the inside moving. If the cap has been opened then you need to hold the outer housing still while rotating the ride height nut.

Hold the silver part while rotating the blue part. This should make lock nut accessible.
Yeah my issue is that i didn't back out preload adjuster before i took it apart (lesson learn). Shop manual said Preload has to be done by hands and not on the dashboard
This video is the best so far for Ohlin shock rebuild.

Feb 2019
San Francisco
Dang, I don't know what to think of myself, but I just watched those 30mins with the same intensity as I had watching the Game of Thrones s7 finale with.

Having fumbled through this, that guy knows what's up!

May 2019
USA
FYI... according to ohlins usa and kyle racing the oil height is 220 mm from the top with the springs and spacer out for a 2012 1199S. The reason for some much less is the electronic servo takes up a lot of the air space.

Mar 2015
ATX
FYI... according to ohlins usa and kyle racing the oil height is 220 mm from the top with the springs and spacer out for a 2012 1199S. The reason for some much less is the electronic servo takes up a lot of the air space.
I don't remember where i'd read that you shouldn't measure your fluid with spring and spacer. However, from "2013 Ducati Superbike Panigale S Tricolore 1199 Workshop Manual" on page 38/1209 stated 155cc per fork (same as 2015 1299s). not sure why would standard fork would be different

Last edited: